Archive for December, 2016
While driving a car is one of the most common and convenient ways to get around, it also comes with incredible danger. The more you know about the risks of the road, the more you can do to be a safe and smart driver. Here are 10 surprising statistics about traffic accidents that can help drivers be more aware while on the roads.
- Close to 1.3 million people around the world die in road traffic accidents every year. That averages out to 3,287 deaths per day.
- Alcohol-related accidents are one of the leading causes of deaths in car crashes. In 2013, around 31% of all fatal crashes involved drivers who were impaired due to alcohol consumption.
- Nationwide, vehicle accidents cost an average $897 per person in damages, not including the additional costs of hiring a local car accident lawyer to handle the case.
- Large trucks pose a significant threat to all drivers on the roads. In the year 2012, large trucks (defined as vehicles with a gross weight over 10,000 pounds) were involved in accidents that injured 104,000 people and killed 3,921 more.
- Young and inexperienced drivers are also more likely to be involved in traffic accidents. Every year, around 8,000 people are killed in accidents where drivers are between 16 and 20 years old.
- Distracted driving is on the rise. Every day, an average of nine people are killed and 1,153 accidents occur as a result of distracted driving.
- Speeding is another common cause of traffic accidents, cited as a contributing factor in 29% of all road fatalities in 2013. These rates tend to be higher for young males aged 15 to 24 and for motorcycle accidents.
- Pedestrians are also at risk from negligent drivers. Around 65,000 pedestrian injuries were reported in 2014, with over 4,800 deaths.
- People who send or read a text message are 23 times more likely to be involved in a car crash than other drivers. It takes an average of just three seconds of distraction to cause an accident.
- Driver fatigue, or “drowsy driving,” can also cause serious impairment behind the wheel. Over one-third of all drivers admit to having fallen asleep while driving within the past year.
If you have been involved in a crash, do not hesitate to call a local car accident lawyer to help you with your case. An experienced accident attorney can help make sure that you receive the compensation you need to get back on the road safely.
A life crisis is exactly that, a crisis. Whether you’re going through a divorce, recovering from a traffic accident, or facing dui charges, you have more than enough stress to handle. Add to this the financial and medical concerns and you definitely have more to deal with than a person can handle alone. If you’ve been injured in a traffic accident or if you’re facing a dui charge, the best thing is to get a personal injury attorney or a dui attorney on your side. When a life crisis hits, you do need all the help you can get.
When a crisis strikes
Whether your problems have been in the making for a while, like a divorce and the attendant child custody issues, or unexpected, like a dui or traffic accident, they create problems on multiple fronts. You may be spending a
Have you ever been in a situation where there has been a need to enlist professional help for legal matters? Most people try to avoid being in such situations, but there might be cases when it inevitably happens, whether you want it or not. In such cases, it is always the best policy to know the laws involved, and more importantly, to get the best legal help that you can find. Whether it is for a DUI conviction or for any other legal matter that merits urgent attention, the first thing that you should likely be doing is looking for the best criminal defense law firms in the area, and choosing one that fits your needs the best. With the right criminal defense attorney, your problems is more likely to be resolved fast
The month of December is a time of celebration and joyous occasions. You have the opportunity to celebrate the season with your coworkers, friends, and family members. You probably have multiple celebrations lined up, all throughout the month. It is also likely that many of these celebrations will include alcohol. Some, such as work parties, may be open bar, which often encourages people to drink more than they can handle. This holiday season, remember the importance of safe and sober driving. However, if you find yourself in an under the influence driving situation, handle it as best as possible and get the proper representation that you deserve and require.
Do as the arresting offers says Too many people make their cases worse by arguing or fighting with the arresting officer
If you’ve ever felt like California drivers were the worst in the country — well, you may not actually be too far off. A new study by insurance comparison site QuoteWizard says that California ranks second-to-last in terms of driver safety, outdone only by drivers in the state of Utah.
The company used data from the Federal Highway Administration, state records of speeding tickets, auto accident fatalities, and DUIs, and its own user reports to come up with the final rankings. The best drivers came from Rhode Island and Florida, followed by Mississippi, Michigan, and Nevada.
Specifically, California ranked ninth in terms of the most number of speeding tickets issued, fifth for traffic violations, seventh for accidents, and — perhaps most troubling of all — second-highest in the country for the number of DUIs, or drivers operating vehicles while intoxicated. Previous research suggests that a drunk driver will take to the roads 80 times before he or she is ever arrested for a DUI.
So what can you do to stay safe on California roads? For one, drive sober and keep distractions like cell phones out of sight, especially during rush hour traffic on the morning or afternoon commute.
“The economy might be to blame for California’s low rankings,” read the analysis from QuoteWizard. “Going to work usually means driving in California, and more driving means more accidents. Miles traveled per person increased 27 percent in Sacramento between 2009 and 2014, for example, and that could be due to the state’s economic upswing post-recession.”
Along with Sacramento and Oakland, Anaheim ranked third in the worst driving cities in California itself. If you do get into an accident on the roads, be sure to call a local car accident lawyer right away. An auto accident attorney can help you get the compensation you need to address personal injuries or damages not covered by insurance.
Our car accident lawyers understand that driving around the Los Angeles area can sometimes feel like a nightmare. California may be home to some awful drivers, but don’t let that stop you from practicing smart and safe driving habits all year long.