Many people think it would be great to win a large personal injury lawsuit and be paid a large settlement. The reality is that most people would never really want to go through the pain and suffering that leads to such an outcome. Every day, people fall and suffer from traumatic brain injury or TBI. In fact, falls are the leading cause of these devastating injuries. In the United States, it has been estimated that about 1.7 million people will sustain one of these injuries every year. Unfortunately, these injuries will kill 52,000 people. Another 275,000 will spend time in the hospital. While the vast majority, nearly 80%, will be evaluated in the emergency room and released, many suffer the after effects for a long time. Many would benefit from the services of a professional attorney. If you need a lawyer for a slip and fall accident, here are some steps you can take to find one.
- Talk to people you know. Given the number of lawsuits that are filed in the United States every year, the chances are good that you know someone who has hired a professional attorney to help them with a case. Talk to the people you know and see if any of them have ever hired a personal injury lawyer. You may not go with the same law firm but this can give you a starting point in your search.
- Look at professional organizations’ websites. You can check the website for the American Bar Association, NOLO, or your state bar association. These sites exist to help people find the law help they need and you can call them if you have questions about the information you find on their website.
- Do a general internet search. Just do a general search engine search. Many cities and towns have set up Facebook groups and pages to promote local businesses so that can be a good place to find information on professional attorneys in your area. You can also check Yelp and Angie’s List. You can also look at the websites of the law firms that you are considering hiring to learn more about them.
- Take advantage of free first consultations. Law firms offer free first consultations for prospective clients. This is the way they do business so you should take advantage of that and make appointments with several law firms in your area. The laws are different in different parts of the country so you should go with a law firm that is local to you.
- Ask the right questions. Before you hire any law firm, you should make sure you get all of your questions answered. If a professional attorney is not willing to answer your questions before you hire them, you will probably have a hard time getting them answered afterward. Here are a few questions you should ask:
- What is your billing policy? Many personal injury law firms do not charge a fee unless they win the case. There may, however, be other things you will be responsible for paying such as the experts they bring in to bolster your case. You need to know what you will be responsible for paying.
- How long have you done this and why do you practice this kind of law? You need someone who is really going to go to the mat for you. Most cases are settled out of court so you need someone who has a lot of experience negotiating.
- Who will work on my case? Ask to meet the other professionals who will be involved in your case.
Many people think that personal injury lawyers are not really professional attorneys. Thre is the view that they are ambulance chasers who will take on any case, no matter how frivolous. Nothing could be further from the truth. Most operate on a contingency basis, meaning they do not get their fee unless they win. That means they are not in the position to take on cases that they do not think they can win. If you need a personal injury attorney, the right one can really make a big difference in the resolution of your case.
bolsos michael kors outlet bolsos michael kors outlet bolsos michael kors outlet bolsos michael kors outlet bolsos michael kors outlet bolsos michael kors outlet bolsos michael kors outlet bolsos michael kors outlet