While driving a car is one of the most common and convenient ways to get around, it also comes with incredible danger. The more you know about the risks of the road, the more you can do to be a safe and smart driver. Here are 10 surprising statistics about traffic accidents that can help drivers be more aware while on the roads.
- Close to 1.3 million people around the world die in road traffic accidents every year. That averages out to 3,287 deaths per day.
- Alcohol-related accidents are one of the leading causes of deaths in car crashes. In 2013, around 31% of all fatal crashes involved drivers who were impaired due to alcohol consumption.
- Nationwide, vehicle accidents cost an average $897 per person in damages, not including the additional costs of hiring a local car accident lawyer to handle the case.
- Large trucks pose a significant threat to all drivers on the roads. In the year 2012, large trucks (defined as vehicles with a gross weight over 10,000 pounds) were involved in accidents that injured 104,000 people and killed 3,921 more.
- Young and inexperienced drivers are also more likely to be involved in traffic accidents. Every year, around 8,000 people are killed in accidents where drivers are between 16 and 20 years old.
- Distracted driving is on the rise. Every day, an average of nine people are killed and 1,153 accidents occur as a result of distracted driving.
- Speeding is another common cause of traffic accidents, cited as a contributing factor in 29% of all road fatalities in 2013. These rates tend to be higher for young males aged 15 to 24 and for motorcycle accidents.
- Pedestrians are also at risk from negligent drivers. Around 65,000 pedestrian injuries were reported in 2014, with over 4,800 deaths.
- People who send or read a text message are 23 times more likely to be involved in a car crash than other drivers. It takes an average of just three seconds of distraction to cause an accident.
- Driver fatigue, or “drowsy driving,” can also cause serious impairment behind the wheel. Over one-third of all drivers admit to having fallen asleep while driving within the past year.
If you have been involved in a crash, do not hesitate to call a local car accident lawyer to help you with your case. An experienced accident attorney can help make sure that you receive the compensation you need to get back on the road safely.
If you’ve ever felt like California drivers were the worst in the country — well, you may not actually be too far off. A new study by insurance comparison site QuoteWizard says that California ranks second-to-last in terms of driver safety, outdone only by drivers in the state of Utah.
The company used data from the Federal Highway Administration, state records of speeding tickets, auto accident fatalities, and DUIs, and its own user reports to come up with the final rankings. The best drivers came from Rhode Island and Florida, followed by Mississippi, Michigan, and Nevada.
Specifically, California ranked ninth in terms of the most number of speeding tickets issued, fifth for traffic violations, seventh for accidents, and — perhaps most troubling of all — second-highest in the country for the number of DUIs, or drivers operating vehicles while intoxicated. Previous research suggests that a drunk driver will take to the roads 80 times before he or she is ever arrested for a DUI.
So what can you do to stay safe on California roads? For one, drive sober and keep distractions like cell phones out of sight, especially during rush hour traffic on the morning or afternoon commute.
“The economy might be to blame for California’s low rankings,” read the analysis from QuoteWizard. “Going to work usually means driving in California, and more driving means more accidents. Miles traveled per person increased 27 percent in Sacramento between 2009 and 2014, for example, and that could be due to the state’s economic upswing post-recession.”
Along with Sacramento and Oakland, Anaheim ranked third in the worst driving cities in California itself. If you do get into an accident on the roads, be sure to call a local car accident lawyer right away. An auto accident attorney can help you get the compensation you need to address personal injuries or damages not covered by insurance.
Our car accident lawyers understand that driving around the Los Angeles area can sometimes feel like a nightmare. California may be home to some awful drivers, but don’t let that stop you from practicing smart and safe driving habits all year long.
While minor fender benders can usually be settled out of court — with or without the help of insurance — a more serious car accident requires the help of a car accident lawyer. Car accidents kill thousands of people every year, and motorcyclists are 26 times more likely to be killed in a crash. Thousands more are seriously injured. These instances should always be taken seriously.
A car accident lawyer can help settle a number of things in the case of an auto accident. Here’s how:
Knowledge of Law and Procedure
There are a number of things to consider following car or motorcycle accidents. What are the damages? Were there any injuries? Who, if anyone, is at fault? There are laws that determine the proceedings of these instances that only a personal injury lawyer or accident attorney would know.
Hiring an attorney who has demonstrated expertise and success in the area will ensure that you have a shot at winning your case. In addition to knowing the ins and outs of the subject in question, he or she will also know of any statutes of limitation that could bar you from filing a lawsuit or inform you of any special exceptions in your state.
No Legwork for You
While you should absolutely be in touch with your lawyer to know the details of your case, your lawyer is the one who directly deals with the court as well as other individuals and groups involved in the case. In the case of a car accident, your first priority is dealing with your personal health and possible injuries. The last thing you want to do is negotiate an insurance settlement or file a lawsuit. That’s what your car accident lawyer is for.
Your attorney is able to organize the evidence that you provide in a comprehensive manner to submit to the courts or an insurance company. Having someone take care of these logistics allows you to go about your life and take care of yourself first.
An Attorney Will Fight for You
Being your advocate is arguably the most important role of an attorney. If you represent yourself, there’s no one on your side. Having at least one person can really leverage the case to swing in your favor. They are able to act on your behalf and have only your benefits in mind.
When you need a reliable car accident lawyer, consider contacting Power Law Group. Our legal team is experienced and has a proven track record of giving our clients the justice that they deserve.
You are driving, rushing to get to work or to pick your child up from work when you feel a car slam into the back of you. You fling forward, hitting the steering wheel and then flying backward, hitting the back of the seat hard. You lose your breath for a minute, before you realize what is happening. You were just hit by another vehicle and you are scared and unsure of what to do. You slowly pry yourself out of the car, hoping that the other party is okay and hoping that you aren?t too injured as well. The other driver is very apologetic, but blames you for slamming on your brakes too hard. You notice the damage to your car and you wonder who is going to pay for it. Who is going to pay for your lost time at work? Also, who will pay for the hospital visit that you need to be checked out to ensure t