If you are considering filing for divorce, you are definitely not alone. There is a divorce every 36 seconds in the United States. There are also about 2,400 each day, 16,800 of them each week and about 876,000 every year.andnbsp;New research has shown that first marriages end in divorce between 40 and 50% of the time that number jumps to 60% for second marriages. The average length of a marriage that ends in divorce is about nine years. If you think your marriage is headed this way, you need to talk to a divorce attorney to get an idea of what your options are.
- Talk to the people in your life whom you trust. Given the number of people who go through divorce every year, the chances are good that you know someone who has been through it. Talk to your friends, family, colleagues and all the people you trust. Ask how they approached looking at and finding divorce lawyers. You should not feel obligated to go with the same divorce attorney your best friend used, their situation was probably very different from yours. You may not end up using the same divorce attorney but this can give you a great place to start looking.
- Talk to multiple divorce lawyers. You should not just hire the first divorce attorney you talk to. Most law firms have a policy of giving a first consultation for free. You should take advantage of that to get all of your questions answered and your concerns addressed. This is an important decision and you should take your time and do your due diligence when you are looking to hire a divorce attorney. Spend some time with the divorce attorneys to make sure you have the person you are the most comfortable working with.
- Get someone who specializes in family or divorce law. Just like doctor specialize, so do attorneys. You would not go to a cardiologist for a broken leg, would you? No, of course you would not. You need a lawyer who specializes in family and divorce law. A criminal defense attorney is not going to do the kind of job you need when you are getting a divorce. You need someone who has a lot of experience with divorces so that you get the best outcome.
- Pick a divorce attorney who has experience with your kind of case. Even within divorce law, there are different issues that can come up in different divorce cases. If you have children, you really need a lawyer who has experience dealing with child custody and child support issues. An experienced child custody attorney and child support attorney will understand all of the issues that surround those two aspects of a divorce. They may also have suggestions for helping your children through this. If you have a complicated business situation, you need a divorce attorney who has dealt with those issues.
- Make sure they are good at negotiating. You really should try, as hard as you can, to avoid going to court. Some people think that they have to go to court to get the best deal for themselves but the opposite is true. You should know that there are no “winners” in a divorce. The best you can hope for is a settlement that you can live with. If you can arrive at that without going into court, you really should. It will be less expensive and less painful for everyone involved if you can negotiate a good settlement for everyone involved.
- They still need to be god in court. You may not want to go to court but it may still be necessary. The divorce attorney you hire does need to have a decent amount of experience in the courtroom so if you find you need to go there, they will be effective.
The divorce process is never fun. It can make you feel like a failure, this is a common response people have, but it does not mean that at all. The marriage did not work out and as upsetting and disappointing as that is, it is not a reflection on you.