While driving a car is one of the most common and convenient ways to get around, it also comes with incredible danger. The more you know about the risks of the road, the more you can do to be a safe and smart driver. Here are 10 surprising statistics about traffic accidents that can help drivers be more aware while on the roads.
- Close to 1.3 million people around the world die in road traffic accidents every year. That averages out to 3,287 deaths per day.
- Alcohol-related accidents are one of the leading causes of deaths in car crashes. In 2013, around 31% of all fatal crashes involved drivers who were impaired due to alcohol consumption.
- Nationwide, vehicle accidents cost an average $897 per person in damages, not including the additional costs of hiring a local car accident lawyer to handle the case.
- Large trucks pose a significant threat to all drivers on the roads. In the year 2012, large trucks (defined as vehicles with a gross weight over 10,000 pounds) were involved in accidents that injured 104,000 people and killed 3,921 more.
- Young and inexperienced drivers are also more likely to be involved in traffic accidents. Every year, around 8,000 people are killed in accidents where drivers are between 16 and 20 years old.
- Distracted driving is on the rise. Every day, an average of nine people are killed and 1,153 accidents occur as a result of distracted driving.
- Speeding is another common cause of traffic accidents, cited as a contributing factor in 29% of all road fatalities in 2013. These rates tend to be higher for young males aged 15 to 24 and for motorcycle accidents.
- Pedestrians are also at risk from negligent drivers. Around 65,000 pedestrian injuries were reported in 2014, with over 4,800 deaths.
- People who send or read a text message are 23 times more likely to be involved in a car crash than other drivers. It takes an average of just three seconds of distraction to cause an accident.
- Driver fatigue, or “drowsy driving,” can also cause serious impairment behind the wheel. Over one-third of all drivers admit to having fallen asleep while driving within the past year.
If you have been involved in a crash, do not hesitate to call a local car accident lawyer to help you with your case. An experienced accident attorney can help make sure that you receive the compensation you need to get back on the road safely.