Do You Know What To Do If You Are Injured In an Auto Accident?
If you have been injured in an auto accident, you should know how important it is to get proper representation to ensure that you get the compensation you deserve; here are the steps you should take to make sure you get exactly that.
Seek Medical Attention
Even if you don’t believe you were injured, seek a medical examination first thing after an accident. If you experience dizziness, or numbness at any time after the car accident, it is critical to rule out any internal medical issues. Additionally, having this documentation can help car accident attorneys on your case later. A few injuries that are commonly seen in accidents are:
- Herniated spinal discs. The force of impact during an accident can put pressure on the tissue in your spine causing ruptures or protrusions known commonly as herniated discs. If left untreated it can cause severe pain and even the loss of muscle control in arms and legs. Spinal injuries are not worth taking risks with, even if it turns out to just be a minor sprain, it is better to be safe than sorry.
- Brain injuries. Injuries of the brain are not always immediately evident, and people can go months without realizing there is an issue. Getting an examination soon after can help reduce the severity of issues later on down the road.
- Knee and shoulder injuries. When slamming on the breaks in a vehicle collision, it is possible to over extend the knee causing painful problems with the joint. In addition the force of impact can put a strain on shoulder joints due to the restrain from the seat belt. Bruising, strains, and torn ligaments are possibilities that should be ruled out by a medical professional.
- Psychological issues. Being in a car accident is a traumatic experience that can leave many people shaken up, but while some people are able to get back on the road after an accident, others can have lasting psychological effects. These injuries can turn into phobias of driving or being in a vehicle if not acted on soon after the incident. Mental health issues should be treated with the same seriousness as any physical issues, and waiting only has the potential of making them worse.
Be sure to save all receipts and papers that you receive from medical treatments, as your personal injury attorney can use them to get you the compensation you’re entitled to.
Take Notes as Soon as Possible
If you are going to be working with a car accident attorney it is important to take notes on exactly what happened while it is still fresh in your mind. Doing this can help your personal injury lawyer get you more from your case. Be sure to take note of:
- Names of anyone involved, and any medical issues that are evident from the accident..
- Keep everything you receive from healthcare professionals. This will help as proof of how much you owe in medical expenses from the accident, and it will help prove the injuries are without a doubt from the accident. This is another reason why getting checked out immediately is very important.
- If you can, take pictures of the damage while on the scene, as well as the location where the accident occurred. That can help prove the traffic conditions, and help your lawyer reconstruct what happened to your benefit. Additionally, if you have any immediately visible injuries, be sure to photograph them for future reference.
- If there are any witnesses on the scene who wouldn’t mind testifying on your behalf, make sure t get their contact information so they can help further your case if needed.
Find a Car Accident Attorney
Once you’ve covered taking care of any medical issues, hiring a car accident attorney as soon as possible can be a huge benefit to your case. A lawyer will help you get the compensation you deserve, without having to hassle with the insurance companies yourself. These professionals know how to navigate the system and get you the best outcome possible. Never settle for less and you deserve, make sure you have a attorney on your side to represent your interests.