How to Pursue a Civil Lawsuit from an Injury Sustained at the Workplace

Arizona workers comp lawyer

Every day millions of Americans around the country wake up, drink their coffee, and head out to their job just like any other day. Unfortunately for some, that day may include an unfortunate injury sustained on the job. In many cases these can be minor slips, trips, and falls, but for those workers in more dangerous occupations, such a minor accident could quickly turn into a major catastrophe. Thankfully, as an American citizen there are a number of options for injured workers and their loved ones to receive financial compensation in the event of such an injury.

Job-Related Injury Statistics

Employers from the private industrial sector reported 3 million nonfatal workplace injuries and illnesses in 2013, representing a decreasing incidence rate to 3.3 cases per 100 full-time workers compared to the previous year’s 3.4 per 100 rate. In 2013 there were 327,060 job-related sprains, strains, and tears, 229,190 slips, trips, and falls, and 170,450 back injuries. Moreover, 917,100 occupational illnesses and injuries from 2013 nece3ssitated days off from work to recover — on average men and women across the United States missed 8 days of work because of occupational injuries. Time away from work due to these injuries costs the employee money unless the employer has taken it upon themselves to establish fair and enforced workers compensation standards through their human resourcing.

Receiving Workers Compensation

Back in 2011 there were around 125.8 million employees covered by workers compensation laws — these amounts totaled $60.2 billion, representing a 3.4% increase from the previous year’s benefit figure of $58.2 billion. Workers compensation typically covers 100% of the employee’s medical costs for injured workers while also paying out cash benefits for time lost at work typically after a three to seven day waiting period. The wages and salaries of the employee compose approximately 70% of workers compensation costs with benefits taking the remaining 30% of compensation. Nearly every state has legislation requiring businesses to provide workers compensation to their employees; based on the Bureau of Labor Statistics’ 2010 National Compensation Survey, workers’ compensation costs represented 1.6% of an employer’s overall spending. In some cases, an employer may try to refute an employee’s request for workers compensation for whatever reason, in this case it may benefit the employee to hire a lawyer.

When to Call in Workers Compensation Lawyers

Some employers would rather try to save face and money by maintaining that the injury resulted from the employee’s own neglect or negligence. If an employer is refusing to offer workers compensation to an employee in need, then it is time to involve a trusted lawyer. Skilled lawyers have spent decades carefully studying workplace legislation — even in cases where a small business may not offer workers compensation to an employee, many lawyers are able to secure funds for their client. The very act of hiring an attorney can chance the very outcome of your case, as over 90% of workers compensation claims settle before the actual trial. In the case of a settlement, employees will be paid on a monthly or annual basis to cover both medical bills and living expenses through recovery. If you or someone you know was injured on the job and believe is entitled to a workers compensation claim, contact a workers compensation law firm in your area to ensure that no worker gets forgotten.

air max blancas air max blancas air max blancas air max blancas air max blancas air max blancas air max blancas air max blancas