Finding a divorce attorney can be a daunting process. In this helpful article, we’ll cover 10 things a person should discuss with a divorce attorney when they are doing their first meeting.
1. Is it possible to get divorced without an attorney?
Yes, it is possible. However, since divorce is a lawsuit and it is best handled by an attorney, who knows the laws and court rules.
2. Can any attorney help with a divorce case?
Since divorce is a tricky type of lawsuit, it is important to hire an expert who does just family law and is familiar with this system.
3. How does the cost look and what are the expenses?
Most divorce attorneys in Michigan work on a retainer, meaning that a client pays money upfront. The total cost depends on the complexity of the case, location, and other factors.
4. What is spousal support gonna be?
There are certain things to discuss, including the duration of the marriage, income, kids, etc.
5. What about the alimony and what is it gonna look like?
There are several factors that need to be discussed with an attorney during the consultation.
6. How is the spouse’s behavior affecting the divorce process?
In the state of Michigan, the behavior of a spouse is a small consideration in a divorce case.
7. How much is the spouse gonna get?
There are many factors that need to be taken into consideration and discussed with an attorney first before answering this question.
8. What are custody and parenting time gonna look like?
Custody is also based on a lot of different factors.
9. What is going to happen to the house?
It depends on a lot of different things, and a divorce attorney will be able to clear that up at the first meeting.
10. What can this particular lawyer do that other lawyers cannot?
It is important to choose a lawyer who is a specialist and has years of professional experience.